Since you have the CD and Product Key on a sticker, you apparently have the retail version. That allows you to transfer to a new computer, as you are trying to do.
I'll give you my "standard answer" for this sort of problem. There are a couple of things you can try to get "proper" access rights, finally if nothing else works, you can do a phone activation:
This behaviour occurs for one or more of the following reasons.:
- You have a Trial Version of Office installed that is “intercepting” the activation attempt, uninstall it first
- Check the numbers and letters on the product key. Sometimes the number eight (8) can resemble a capitalized B, and a number zero (0) can resemble a capitalized O. Copy the product key from an email message to avoid typing errors.
- Make sure that you are not using a product key from an older version of Office. These product keys will not work with Office 2010.
- Do not use a product key that might be attached to the bottom of your laptop, or on the back of your desktop computer. These are usually the Microsoft Windows product keys and will not work with Office 2010.
- If a Product Key Card was purchased at a retail store and activated at the register, do not use the key that is inside the card to unlock Office 2010. You must logon to the website listed on the card and follow the instructions to obtain the actual product key for the version of Office that you purchased.
- A product key for an Office 2010 stand-alone product (such as Microsoft Visio Professional 2010) will not be accepted as a product key for an Office 2010 suite. It is important to match the product key to the product for which it is specified.
- Volume License product keys will not be accepted for a retail Office 2010 product.
- Windows Product ID: 00426-068-0288566-86858 - The 068 is the MSDN indicator. Your entire retail box and its contents is a counterfeit product, including the COA sticker.
If none of the ideas above solve your problem, try the suggestions in this tip:
"Invalid product key" message - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/836178
If that doesn’t work, sometimes the problem has been that Windows has had problems granting the right acces to files,folders and the registry. The following tips provide some workarounds.
Take Ownership of Files / Folders - http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/add-take-ownership-to-explorer-right-click-menu-in-vista/ Solving setup errors by using the SubInACL tool to repair file and registry permissions - http://blogs.msdn.com/b/astebner/archive/2006/09/04/739820.aspx XP Run as admin - http://netsecurity.about.com/od/quicktips/qt/qt_run_as.htm A description of the Safe Mode Boot options in Windows XP - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315222
How product activation works
Product activation is a simple, straightforward process that is completely software based. In most cases, the only information that is needed to activate a product is an installation ID, which is created by the software itself. The information that is collected during activation will not be used to personally identify the user.
Activate 2003 Office http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/help/HA011187761033.aspxActivation and Registration info, phone numbers and links - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/326851
·Telephone activation might take longer than activation through the Internet. You should be at your computer when you call, and you should have your software Product Key available.
1.In the Activation Wizard, select the country/region where you reside and where you plan to use the product .
The wizard provides one or more telephone numbers appropriate for your selection. Use the number provided on your Activation Wizard screen to call the Microsoft Activation Center.
2.Call the Activation Center .
The customer service representative asks you for your installation ID (displayed on your screen) and other relevant information. After your installation ID is verified, you receive a confirmation ID.
3.In the Activation Wizard, type the confirmation ID in the spaces provided at the bottom of the screen, and then press ENTER .
oTelephone activation is not available for Trial and Subscription versions.
Manually invoke Activation applet to get phone number
- Click Start, or invoke Run dialog using <WIN> +< R>
- in the Run Box type slui.exe 4 (you need to include the “4” to get to the right spot)
- Select the appropriate location for an activation centre near you and call them. Except on weekends.